Search our register for a certifier with the right class of registration for your development, or ask your local council.

In most cases, you’ll need a registered building surveyor. Learn more about types of certifiers

The register of certifiers includes registration and insurance details.

You can also check the disciplinary register. These are separate registers so you need to check both to get a complete picture.

No. A registered building surveyor working in the private sector can be the principal certifier.

A principal certifier may be a local council or a private certifier.

Read more about what certifiers do

A certifier is a public official registered by Fair Trading to assess buildings and subdivision works and issues development certificates.

There are many types of certifiers.

A principal certifier is a legislated role that a registered certifier (in the class of building surveyor or certifier-subdivision) or the local council is appointed to carry out for an individual development.

The principal certifier inspects the work at certain stages and issues the occupation certificate if all requirements are met.

Private certifiers have limited enforcement powers compared with a council, even if the certifier is appointed as principal certifier.

For more information, read common development concerns.

The common development concerns page has more information about complying development, including your rights if you’ve been notified of a proposed complying development.

Also visit the NSW Planning Portal.

A complaint should only be made when other options have been exhausted. Go to common development concerns for advice on who to contact in the first instance.

Fair Trading can investigate complaints against certifiers, and councils in their capacity as certifying authorities.

The complaints page explains the process.

If your complaint is about the council but not its certification work, visit the Office of Local Government.

For advice, visit common development concerns.

Read more about having your pool barrier certified.

Ask your council or a certifier (swimming pool inspector) on the Swimming Pool Register.

Read more about having your swimming pool or spa pool barrier certified.

Some certifiers may do minor repairs (up to $1,000 including materials and labour) to enable them to issue a certificate of compliance.

To do so, they must have an endorsed contractor’s licence or qualified supervisor’s certificate under the Home Building Act, authorising them to build a swimming pool or structural landscaping.

The pool owner is free to hire another tradesperson for the repairs.

To check a certifier’s authorisation under the Home Building Act, visit ServiceNSW and enter the licence number.

If the repairs will cost more than $1,000 in materials and labour, the certifier may not carry them out.

Your certifier will give you advice about the changes needed to make your pool barrier compliant, or visit the NSW Swimming Pool Register for more information and resources.